Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Holes in Me Socks!

I uploaded this post in January 2007 and now look at the state of my precious socks!! My first pair I ever made, loved to bits and they both got holes in them yesterday. I never noticed but Barry did cause I was knitting his luxury string Cobblestone jumper with my feet in his lap. I felt shocked and very sad really....I never though they would wear out! I suppose I could always knit some more, I do have enough of the yarn left.....clickedy click!!
my Ali sent me these darling little mitts...made from some more Lorna's Laces yarn. They are perfect for this time of year, just warm enough to keep that chill off your hands. I love this type of mitt because I can keep them on when I am doing my photography too :^) Fanks Ali!
This is something I started this morning, after completing all my chores you understand......ahem.....
They (there will be another one) are called Kyla and the design is absolutely gorgeous!

I adore the way the yarn I am using has made different coloured bobbles! I did have to cast on 65 sts, not 57 as the pattern says, which gave me 10 bobbles and 45sts. I increased 11 sts after the bobble row which left me with 56 sts ready for the rib. I will keep you posted of my progress but I am loving them right now.
I had to knit something soft and dainty in between knitting Barry's luxury string, I mean, peace fleece cobblestone jumper...it's a bit rough on the fingers but it is growing fast and looks rustic and snuggly! Monika has some lovely patterns over on her blog...I might just have to make the socks on there next!

11 comments:

Monika said...

Oh, my! What pretty colors! I LOVE it! Looking forward to see the finished mitts!

Mama said...

First up - the Kayla yarn/project is so, so very pretty! What yarn are you using?

Secondly - is it possible to get a darning ball and repair the socks (not that I would have any idea how to do such a thing - mine are all stor-bought so I toss 'em when they're holey)

Lastly - you've only begin knitting socks this year? You are giving me inspiration. I've been toying with the idea of taking the plunge...

Anonymous said...

try needle felting those holes, here is the link to what a friend of mine did! http://kneek.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/holey-heels/. I have a few pairs that are close to needing this particular treatment, and it sure beats darning.

Marianne said...

Poor sockies...
I'm loving the Kylas, and thank you for the link!
Peace Fleece... I LOVE that yarn. Oddly enough it may just be my all time favourite yarn... it does bloom and soften with each bath and Barry is going to LOVE his Cobblestone!

CG said...

Those are lovely mitts; i must get some for taking photos in the winter months!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

The yarn you are using looks incredibly soft - would you mind sharing what yarn you are using?

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like time for ye ol' darning ball LOL! The new sock colors are fabulous -- just love them. When I learned how to make socks, the instructor said to never wear just your socks around the house -- put slippers over them and they'll last longer. I've been neurotic about following her advice and it's worked for me -- I have socks that have lasted for years. -- so, a suggestion to try! ;-)

Taoknitter said...

Poor socks! Obviously well loved!

Might have to try some of those mitts, which are so wonderful, by the way. The divas would love them. Is there apttern for the cabled mitts?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love your little bobbley mittens - they are gorgeous and look so very soft! =)

Anonymous said...

Oh well. Socks are made to me worn out! Love the colors of your latest.

dutchcomfort said...

Didn’t you learn to fill up holes (that’s what my mum would say!).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin